Can I sue for food poisoning?

If you believe that you have been inflected with salmonella from a restaurant, grocery store or food processor then you may have a personal injury case. You do have to prove that the food consumed was infected with salmonella.

What should I do if I suspect I have food poisoning?

  • Seek medical treatment immediately
  • Preserve any leftovers and receipts
  • Call Hirsch Law Group at (815) 451-3200

What do I need to prove in court for food poisoning?

  • The originating source of the contaminated food you ate
  • The company (restaurant, grocery store or food processor) was negligent in their ability to provide food that was safe for human consumption
  • The food you at caused you to become ill and have injuries
  • You incurred financial loss as the result of this illness including lost wages and medical expenses.

Improper Food Safety Can Lead to Food Poisoning

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (F.D.A.) issues regulations on food safety and preparation. The F.D.A. also issues guidelines for food processors, restaurants and individuals preparing food for consumption to ensure they are safely handling food. When these standards are not met it is more likely for food to be infected with salmonella

Symptoms of Food Poisoning

  • Vomiting
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Headache
  • Diarrhea
  • Blood in the stool